The Delfelder House

222 South Broadway

The Defelder House - The three-story Victorian house was built in 1907 by J. W. Blake, a local sheep rancher and banker, shortly after the founding of Riverton. After Mr. Blake died due to complications from a horse riding accident, Mrs. Blake sold the home to J. A. Delfelder in 1913.

J.A. Delfelder was an influential man whom was known as "Wyoming's Sheep King". Within months of moving to Riverton, Delfelder he was voted mayor of the town. He held this position until a month before his death in 1921. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Delfelder continued to live in the home until she sold it to Jack Ratliff and his family in 1960. The Ratliff's had four children who grew up in the home for the next 30 years. In 1991, after all of the children moved out, the Ratliff's decided to sell the home to move into a smaller home.

In the summer of 2000, the House was purchased by two local businesswomen who restored the house and opened the Delfelder Inn Bed and Breakfast. It continues to operate as a bed and breakfast to this day.

Tidbits:

  • When the home was built in 1907, it had no running water, electricity, or natural gas. These amenities weren't added until later years: running water was added between 1910 and 1912, electricity in 1914, and natural gas in 1921.
  • The Delfelder's were well known for entertaining the people of Riverton with lavish parties. Many locals have fond memories of their parents dressing formally for affairs held in the Delfelder home.

Comments are closed.