110 S. 1st
Chicago-Northwestern Railroad Depot- The Depot was originally named ‘Wadsworth’ after Major H. E. Wadsworth as a gesture of appreciation to the Wind River Indian Reservation superintendent by the Chicago & North Western Railroad. However, numerous Riverton townspeople believed that H.E. Wadsworth had worked against their interests and were upset over the sign at the depot, and as a result, during the first week of November 1906, the ‘Wadsworth’ sign was removed and replaced with ‘Riverton.’
The first depot building operated until 1916 when General Manager Walters of the Chicago and Northwestern, of Omaha, arrived in Riverton in August of 1916. Mr. Walters approved a move of the depot building to the south side of Main Street and as well as a modernization. Additionally, cement walks were also built connecting the depot directly to Main Street. The newly remodeled depot building featured separate waiting rooms for men and for
women, a ticket and business office, and lighting.
1984 saw a decline in railroad activity. The Chicago & Northwestern began the process of halting their rail service in the area, and by 1988 had completely shut down the rails
from Casper in to Riverton despite efforts of the Fremont County Commissioners,
Wyoming’s Congressional delegation, and local legislative and governmental officials to keep
the lines open. The tracks were eventually removed in the early 1990s as part of the
‘Rails to Trails’ project.
The Riverton Depot remained as a historic building after the rails were closed and was saved
from demolition and restored in 1976.
- In 1906, the Riverton Depot was located on the north side of Main Street, on the west side of the tracks. In 1917, the Depot was moved to the south side of Main Street. In order to complete this move, the Depot building was lifted onto a flatbed rail car, taken by rail to Shoshoni where the car could be turned, and transported back to Riverton.